Monday, June 29, 2009

Joining the Coeliac Society - What a lifesaver!

So, I've been diagnosed (over the phone!), now what do I do? I have always had a keen interest in food and nutrition, but this was a curve ball I wasn't expecting! Coming from a European family (a Greek father), the thought of no bread was just ridiculous!

My GP advised me to join the Coeliac Society straight away. You can only join if you are a diagnosed Coeliac or have intolerance issues with gluten. They are a dedicated group, who hold the key to understanding how to manage this disease through a gluten free diet. They are also commited to the education of (particularly) GPs in the diagnosis of Coeliac Disease, and have a firm interest in research into it.

Well, they were a lifesaver! They sent me reading materials, an ingredient book, and most importantly, an invite to their next workshop for newly diagnosed members.

Before I got my package of information from them, I had gone to the local health food shop and spent a fortune on expensive gluten free ingredients and products. I was wondering how the hell I was going to maintain such an expensive grocery list in the long term (I was also wondering how I was going to live without bread - anyone tried the supermarket gluten free bread? Next time you're in Woolies or Coles pick up a loaf and smell it - you'll see what I mean!).

So I went along to the workshop. Phew. I was surrounded by like minded people, in the same boat as me. It felt like such a relief. They put on a gluten free lunch for us, provided us with a goodie bag of gluten free products, and they spoke. Spoke sense.

The three most important things I picked up that day were:

1) eat as much 'naturally' gluten free food as possible and;
2) eat as much low GI food as possible, and
3) you are not alone.

I met families with Coeliac kids, older people who had only just found out, opinionated people, quiet people - Coeliac's come in all shapes and sizes, and from all corners of society. That's why I believe it's important we all talk in lay mans terms about how to live with this disease. Education is key, and the Coeliac Society are doing an incredible job. Check them out at http://www.coeliacsociety.com.au/

I cannot recommend enough how important it is to join your local Coeliac Society. They are a group that needs to be supported by us all for the wonderful work they are doing. And honestly, they will make your life easier (my grocery bills are not as big as that first week anymore, thanks to some sensible food recommendations and a decent reading list!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog