Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gluten Free Bread - a challenge to the major suppliers

When I first was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease and tasted the supermarket gluten free bread I was horrified. Next time you're in one of our local supermarkets, pick up a loaf of gluten free bread and smell it - it's very distinct......and very unpleasant.

Thank god for wonderful niche producers like Naturally Gluten Free and Choices Gluten Free bakeries.....without them, I just wouldn't eat bread.

I would like to issue a challenge to the major manufacturers - get someone in your company who eats normal bread to smell and taste some of the bread produced and see if they would eat it! Moores, Country Life and all the others you see in the supermarket - surely we can get closer to decent, affordable, edible gluten free bread for everyone, not just those priviliged enough to be able to order from the niche bakeries?

3 comments:

  1. I totaly agree with you!
    It is very hard to find eatable gluten free bread..I use Easy Bakers mix and that is an eyeopener.
    Even my not glutenfree childeren like it.
    regards Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the tip Laura - I haven't tried that mix, so I'll go and get it at the weekend and try it. Do you buy it in the supermarket and make it in a breadmaker?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just want to say that I enjoy reading your blog! Its so nice to hear from others on gluten free diets. Bread is a big issue for me. I love my bread and the only gluten free bread that I like is by Lifestyle Bakery. The Zhender stuff is like a rock, I havnt tried Choices, but I also don't like Naturally Gluten Free. Lifestyle is the only bread that tastes good and has a good texture. Particularly their Chia Seed Loaf. www.lifestylebakery.com.au Anyway, incase you hadn't tried that I thought i'd let you know since you always give out such useful advice to others! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog