Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"I could never give up bread, it would kill me"


Do you know how many times I have heard this since I was diagnosed in September 08? If I had a dollar...!


I smile smugly to myself now when I hear this! Little do they know how amazing I now feel, and how actually, eating bread might have eventually killed me!


I have never, ever felt better.....and as for the bread, yes, I miss it. I hate walking past bakers delight when they are opening the ovens, or being one of the first into my local Woolies or Coles in the morning when they are bringing the bread out of the oven....the smell is amazing, and is something us Coeliacs all miss. But feeling as great as I do now, I would never turn back.


I love the philosophy that I am not giving anything up, I am gaining. I thought that when I gave up smoking 8 years ago, and I think it now....I have freed my body of the ingredients that were beating it into submission.....I have energy, I am slim, I am healthy - and I am so clear minded now. So giving up bread hasn't killed me - I'd like to think it's freed me.


And thank god, I have found some awesome gluten free bread! To start with, I refused to eat the gluten free bread - I thought it was disgusting! But every, single new gluten free bread I find, or I hear about, I try. Why not, I've got nothing to lose!


I think all of us Coeliacs, and anyone else who needs or wants to be gluten free, need to keep up the pressure on the food industry to continue to innovate. I often hear great, and inspiring stories of people trialling new products, but we need to buy them and give the manufacturers our feedback. Vote with our pockets. Because lets face it, we generally all accept that we cannot eat normal bread, but I'm sure given the chance, we would all like to experience something close to it once in a while!


I would love to hear other people's stories and recommendations around gluten free bread. In the meantime, I will write another post shortly with my recommendations so far on gluten free bread in Australia.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog